Today we have a guest blogger, Squeeze Willis. She doesn't even know it, but since she posted the following on FB then I am calling it fair game. Our cousin, Squeeze, is a fine example of a woman of God....doesn't always get it all right, but regardless, she is seeking and serving Christ diligently. What a legacy she is leaving!
The last month or so I have been trying to say NO to pretty much every invitation or event that does not include my husband and/or children. I was finding that I didn't like the life that I was scheduling. It included lots of photo shoots, ridiculously late nights on the computer which lead to a house of sickies, frequent and quick frustration, constantly pushing my kids in front of "Eloise" movies so I could try and accomplish something, anything! That's not the kind of wife I want to be. That's not the kind of mom I want my kids to remember. Making money is not worth that exchange to me. I told my husband this week that I have got to get some systems in order because my pace is not sustainable and I am just not happy. Just about as soon as those words fell off my tongue, several faces came to my mind.
My friend who just said goodbye to her little boy who she will never see again this side of heaven; another friend whose husband is deployed overseas and has just found out that her child has been abused and the court system is not helping at all; a friend whose husband just walked out on her leaving her with their 2 children because he decided he wasn't happy anymore in their marriage; a dad who's wife just died of cancer leaving him a widower with 2 kids under the age of 3; a mom who spends every other week in and out of the hospital with her 4 year old battling a brain tumor and a another friend who is grieving the death of her mom and greatest cheerleader.
The longer I live the more I realize that life is all about perspective. When I get caught up in my own narcissistic self focused life, all I need to do is to start praying for others whose reality is my worst nightmare. It changes my perspective and behavior for sure. I say "no" to a great work opportunity and "yes" to a night at home with my family making cookies. I say "no" to a fun girls night and "yes" to a date night with my man. I spend the day swimming with my girls instead of searching the web to market my business better. Not saying those other things are bad, they are just not the best thing for me and my family right now. At the end of my life all I long to hear is "well done Squeeze!"




No comments:
Post a Comment