Chapter 5: Joy!
I started this chapter pretty confident in my "joy" level, but I was curious to read what he had to say. Well, by the end of the chapter, I realized I needed some work in this area too.
- I really liked this prayer he shared...."God, thank you for the way you're working in my daughters' lives. Thank you for how I see you sanctifying my son. Thank you for the joy of living with my children. Thank you for the privilege of getting to spend my life with them."
- I wish I got this when I was still a child... "no greater joy than to hear that my children are walking in truth" -John
- Since having Rileigh I have dealt with more fear, then ever before. This is good for me..."If our heavenly Father doesn't model his care by showing obsessive fear for us and constantly harping over our failures, why should we build our relationship with our children on such a worthless foundation?"
- Here's more on the fear thing. I totally get this! "(praying with gratitude) has given me a new perspective. When I prayed only for their protection, I had to fight off fear. When I prayed merely for God to change them, I list sight of their strengths. Thanking God for them and specifically meditating on those qualities in their lives for which I am grateful has given me a much greater appreciation for the privilege of living with these children."
- Good scripture he highlighted....Romans 16:19, 2 Corinthians 7: 4, Philippians 1:3-4, I Thessalonians 2:20, Philemon 7
- "One of the greatest gifts a parent can give to his or her children is to enjoy them, to cherish them, to laugh with them, to give them the satisfaction that we feel so very thankful to walk this life with them."
- Giant note-to-self... "Families start to break down-and marriages often break down, for that matter - when we stop enjoying each other. There is a place for discipline, sacrifice, commitment, and perseverance; but an equally important place exists for enjoyment."
- In my current season, I put just about all of my time, effort, and energy toward my girls and this is why I am so torn about them getting older...I hold them so dear, so little, so innocent..."It's a natural principle of life that the more time, effort, and energy we put into our family, the more we hold it dear."



1 comment:
Good stuff lady!
Post a Comment