Chapter 4: Seizing Heaven
- "Many of us don't actively rebel against God. We don't shake our fist at him or malign his name - but we do ignore him. We get too busy to listen. And that offends him just as much as refusing to obey."
- "We are a prideful people by nature, and pride keeps telling us we don't need God to handle the situation at hand. Listening to God provides the true test of our humility. Humble people listen; prideful people never seem to have the time to wait on God."
- "...listening...moves us from merely a human-centered faith of willful obedience and timeless principles, and ushers us into cooperating with God as he actively moves upon his world...It is one of the ways that we can "seize heaven" and invite God's presence into our lives."
- "How might kids find strength and warning and guidance and inspiration if their parents would glean insights from the God who created them, from the God who knows their thoughts, from the God who knows their inner struggles and who hears every conversation they have with their friends?"
- "True listening is an active discipline."
- "Safeguards of listening..." 1) aligns with Scripture 2) follows common sense 3) other believers to help discern
- "...listening is an active choice of love, its greatest enemies are apathy and busyness."
- Do less and listen more.
"It is inconceivable to think that God would give us so much to do that we can no longer spend extended time with Him" -Gordon Smith
- "Listening doesn't detract from our service; it empowers it."
Oh man, this entire chapter spoke directly to me. I was starting to think I should just copy and past the entire chapter here, but I refrained. I am a "busy" personality...and it usually is busy doing good things. This is under the same umbrella as assertive, determined, and hardworking, but being "busy" is a weakness to those positive aspects. Close behind that is my pride...too prideful to go slow and listen. I know the answer now and that's the bottom line...black and white. Since having my girls, I have began to practice the Scripture "BE STILL and know that I am God." Being "still" FIRST and INTENTIONALLY. I desire to have my eyes and heart open, so that I may continue to be intentional in this discipline.



1 comment:
Ouch....I needed this. Thanks
Post a Comment