Thursday, January 19, 2012

SP #8

(Since I’m in between Bible study semesters, I thought I would take advantage of the time and finish up Sacred Parenting. I’m also being more intentional about reading in 2012, so I hope to use that time as well. As I was looking back, I didn’t see Chapter #7: Burning Love. I’m going to do Chapter #8 for now and maybe I’ll find #7 later.)

Chapter #8: The Glory behind the Grime

Speaking about finding oneself in the most undignified positions imaginable… “The positive spiritual benefit is that it slowly transforms us from valuing the superficial allure of appearance and helps us focus instead on the influential aspect of meaningful relationships.” No kidding!

“Parenting in particular wakes us up from our self-indulgence and invites us to get involved in something bigger than adventure and even greater than glamour – the shaping of a human life and the destiny of an eternal soul.”

“…for some time this is how I am, blown this way and that, careening around like a crazy, febrile gauge trying to find north.” …and this is why becoming a parent has been the most challenging adventure in my life…keeps me in a place I work hard NOT to be in…and there is where I depend on Christ the most.

“Having been in lowly situations and having done less than glamorous work ourselves, …we are set free to notice those whom others ignore. We’ve awakened to the fact that glamour misleads and that worldly “significance” isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.” Whatever it takes so I “notice those whom others ignore”…whatever.

No comments: